Reducing your waste not only has environmental benefits, though not sending as much to landfill, but it can also save you money!
To reduce the amount of unwanted mail through your letterbox there are several things you can do:
- Register with the Mailing Preference Service to stop receiving addressed advertising mail like credit card applications
- To stop unaddressed, unsolicited marketing mail contact the Royal Mail.
- Be aware when giving your name and address when signing up for services or registering with companies or online shops; ensure you indicate you DON'T want your details to be used for future promotions or passed to other marketing agencies.
- Stick it to them! A good way to reduce junk mail is by using a ‘no junk mail’ sticker that can be placed on your door or letterbox.
Love Food Hate Waste
If we all stopped wasting food that could have been eaten, it would have the same environmental impact as taking 1 in 4 cars off UK roads.
Love Food Hate Waste is a campaign from WRAP (Waste & Resources Action Programme) that has lots of tasty leftover recipes, a portion calculator, top tips and date label advice to help us make the most of the food we buy.
- Visit the Love Food Hate Waste website for more information
There are some materials that are not permitted in landfill as they are hazardous and require special treatment before disposal. These items cannot be collected in your green household waste wheelie bin but can be taken to special collection points. Find your nearest lamp recycling centre.